Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Music, Clothes, and Braids

On Monday we watched the kids perform at their music competition. It was SOOOO cool!!! On top of it being cool, they won the whole thing! They are seriously talented. They performed two dance/drama pieces and a poem/skit. The competition was held in a classroom at a public school down the road from Lulwanda. I wish the internet was strong enough for me to post a video, but maybe I’ll be able to upload it another time. 







Yesterday was such an awesome day! First, we gave out the pillow case dresses and shorts from Monahans High School to all the children. They were SO excited. It’s funny because when I was in the class making those dresses and shorts during my senior year, I had absolutely no idea where they were going or who they were going to, and I got to personally hand them out to the children today. It’s crazy the way God works in our lives like that to put us exactly where we’re supposed to be exactly when we’re supposed to be there. If anyone from MHS reads this, please know the joy and excitement you brought to those kids today was worth any kind time, effort, or money you put into making those things 20 X over. Here are a few pictures to prove it!










Mom, I got Patricia the cutest one! :)



After lunch, I got my hair braided!!! The administrator of the children’s home’s wife, Prossy, who is a hair dresser, braided mine and Kenzie's (the girl I room with) hair. It took about 2 hours for her to do mine. I don’t have any pictures of it yet, but I will put some on my next blog post. It was so cool just being in their living room and having her braid our hair. All the mommas were joking with us saying we are no longer mzungus! They all thought it was pretty funny that we were interested in having our hair bradied African style.

Now when I talk about the “mommas”, I’m not talking about literal mothers, although some of them are. I’m talking about the ladies who work at the children’s home. They care for the children by cooking, cleaning, and mostly loving the kids. They are some very special ladies! Here’s a picture of myself with two of them, Momma Joy and Momma Jan Mary. 




Last night we ate dinner at the Palmer’s house. The Palmers are the missionary family with the young girl, Lilly, who we had a slumber party with last week. They are a really neat family that I have enjoyed getting to know. It was really insightful to see where they live and how they function on a daily basis.

I am so thankful that I’m able to interact with these awesome kids, teachers, and staff members on a daily basis. They are truly special people, and I’m no where near ready to leave them.

Wishing I Could Stop Time,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment