Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Helloooooooo



I have come to realize more than a few things since being here. One of them is that I respect, appreciate, and enjoy people who work hard. That can mean a lot of things, but hard work is something to be admired. I don’t care if you have good work ethic in the kitchen, weight room, classroom, office, or anything else. It’s all-important, and it’s a character quality that matters so much more to me than someone’s actual skill or abilities.

I have also learned that I appreciate the things that my dad taught me as a child more and more the older I get. You know those hard workers I was talking about? My dad is number one in that category. I’ve always respected him for that, but being on this trip has given me a newfound respect for him and all the things he has done for my family and me. One thing in particular comes to mind: painting.

When I was younger, I never knew why my dad made such a big deal about having to paint my room upon request. Painting is a fun thing to do… right? Not if you’re doing a lot of the work and doing it the right way. Although my dad painted the whole room for me, he did teach me how to paint and that’s something I’m thankful for. Today, I’m just feeling extra thankful for a dad who taught me how to do things in life like paint a wall and how to work hard at everything I do. He has set the best example for me and it’s awesome to put those things to use in my life. Sometimes I forget that working hard isn’t something that everyone knows how to do and has the will to do. I’m thankful that my dad molded my work ethic into something to be admired.

We FINISHED painting today!!! 7 classrooms, a teacher workroom, and 4 offices later, I never ever ever want to paint again. It was a great thing to do for these wonderful teachers, but if you can’t tell, I’m glad to be finished. Now, we are working on the library. We’re putting in all new shelves that came from none other than Monahans High School and reorganizing the whole library to be on more of a “Barnes and Noble” system.

While working in the library today, I found a few pictures of myself in an album in there!! It was something Mrs. Ashbrook put together when we made the pillow case dresses and shorts in her class. I had no idea that those things were coming to Lulwanda and knowing it now and seeing my picture in their library brings me so much joy. There were pictures of many of my friends in the album too. Ang, Fee, Abby, and Mo I saw your pictures today. Hope you are all doing so awesome

11 of our 19 team members left yesterday morning, and I’m missing my momma already. I am so glad that we got to spend these past two weeks together. I know it’s something we will remember forever.

The Palmers’ are a family from Georgia living here in Uganda as missionaries. Their 6-year-old daughter, Lilly, who I refer to as Cady Heron (only in my head of course), is staying the night with my roommate and I tonight… slumber party! We got the night started off right and had a dance party at dinner!

Here are just some of the pictures I’ve taken over the last few days. I am loving this place and these kids more and more every day. It is really incredible. We are going to see the farm tomorrow and working on the library tomorrow and Friday. Then we’re going on a field trip Saturday! J

Oh and in these pictures is one of my favorite moments of the trip. I taught some of the girls how to play volleyball with an 87-cent beach ball and a clothesline. It’s the little things.

LOVE,

Amy











No comments:

Post a Comment