Sunday, July 20, 2014

African Adventures

The sleepover with Lilly was a big success. I even got to watch the only movie I've seen in 3 weeks, Barbie Fairytopia (lucky me)! 


We are still working on the library, but making progress. Being in the library makes me think of my great aunt Ginger. :) I LOVE going through these books and seeing so many that I used to love such as: the Junie B. Jones series, Babysitters Club, Alice series, Madeline, Series of Unfortunate Events, and MANY more. I just love books and reading, and I think reading is one of the best things you can do for yourself; this has been a fun project for me. I saw a quote by Maya Angelou today that said "You can't use up creativity. The more you use it, the more you have." I think that pertains to reading and obtaining knowledge just the same. 



On Thursday, we went out to the Lulwanda farm. As we were getting out of the van, we were told to watch out for snakes - particularly cobras. COBRAS!!! First of all, snakes are my worst fear. Secondly, cobras in Africa sounds like just about the worst nightmare I could dream up. I'm glad I got to see the farm, but to say the least, I was paranoid. 

Saturday we took half the Lulwanda children on a field trip to the rainforest! Before we left, we handed out new tennis shoes to the children for our hike. They were SO happy and grateful. It was really sweet to see. The shoes were donated by Shoes For Orphan Soles. The rainforest was seriously beautiful, unique, and a great adventure. It provided a great opportunity to bond with many of the children. It was super fun just riding with them in the coaster and getting to know them better. They make everything so fun! It was hard to get good pictures in the rainforest because everything is just so big and close, but I tried!















We went to the Presbyterian church this morning and got to experience worship in an even different way. There was a makeshift soccer field beside the church that I thought you would want to see, Rexy! During the service, I looked out the window and saw a couple of young boys kicking around a small ball of rags as a soccer ball. After church, we went to the coolest coffee shop for lunch. Bo... you would LOVE it. It was like straight out of a Pinterest board. It had wonderful food and drinks too! I spent the rest of my afternoon reading by the pool. This was our first "day off" since we arrived in Uganda. 





Tomorrow, we will start our last week at Lulwanda. :( I miss my friends and family, but I am seriously not ready to leave this place and these kids. Honestly, I was expecting to be ready to go home at this point in the trip, but that's not the case. I'm going to try my very best to make this last week the best one yet. These kids have a tight grip on my heart, and I want nothing more than to see them happy. The children seriously think that because my skin is white, I can do anything. It's inspiring and heart breaking all at the same time. One boy seriously said to me yesterday, "Have you ever been to the moon?" He is 14 years old and thinks I have the capability to go to the moon. It's a very interesting thing to wrap your head around. 

Thankful,

Amy Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment